The holiday of the Autumnal Equinox, Harvest Home, Mabon, the Feast of the Ingathering, Meán Fómhair or Alban Elfed (in Neo-Druid traditions), is a Pagan ritual of thanksgiving for the fruits of the earth and a recognition of the need to share them to secure the blessings of the Goddess and the God during the coming winter months (Wikipedia).
Mabon or Autumnal Equinox
Sept. 23, 2015, beginning at sundown on the 22nd
TOOLS AND RITUAL COMPONENTS:
- Incense: Combine benzoin, myrrh, honeysuckle bark, cinnamon and vanilla
- Ritual Soap: Marigold for concentration and purification
- Annointing Oil: Syrrh and vanilla for awareness
- Ritual Cup: Sage combined with white rose water
- Altar Decorations: Acorns, gourds, thistle, late blooming flowers, fresh ferns on the floor, bloodstone and malachite
- Clothing: Wear the colors of fall
- Cakes: apple pie with vanilla, cinnamon and ginger
from: A Victorian Grimoire
Colors of the Season:
The leaves have begun to change, so reflect the colors of autumn in your altar decorations. Use yellows, oranges, reds and browns. Cover your altar with cloths that symbolize the harvest season, or go a step further and put brightly colored fallen leaves upon your work surface. Use candles in deep, rich colors — reds, golds, or other autumn shades are perfect this time of year.
Symbols of the Harvest:
Mabon is the time of the second harvest, and the dying of the fields. Use corn, sheaves of wheat, squash and root vegetables on your altar. Add some tools of agriculture if you have them – scythes, sickles, and baskets.
A Time of Balance:
Remember, the equinoxes are the two nights of the year when the amount of light and darkness are equal. Decorate your altar to symbolize the aspect of the season. Try a small set of scales, a yin-yang symbol, a white candle paired up with a black one — all are things which represent the concept of balance.
Other Symbols of Mabon:
Wine, vines and grapes Apples, cider, and apple juice Pomegranates Ears of corn Pumpkins Gods’ Eyes Corn dolls Mid-autumn vegetables, like squashes and gourds”
Autumnal Equinox Altars:
Simple Mabon Cider: